Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Shift/Chemise/Smock/Shirt Thingy


I used Drea Leed's generator for this pattern. It's made of 100% linen in handkerchief weight.

I took my measurements and plugged them in. Three years later, I actually made the chemise.

So of course, I took my measurements again and started over. :P

After washing the linen and pressing it out, I collected my supplies from all over the house. A yard stick, measuring tape, pencil, pins, scissors, and pattern notes.

I layed out the linen, measuring all the angles, checking them twice. Then I decided I better make a practice test. I grabbed a piece of muslin and layed out the measurements for the neckline and opening. I cut it out and finished it according to the directions. And man am I glad I did. It ended up being way too big an opening! So I adjusted the pattern and did it again. This time feeling much better about the pattern.

I decided to use the sewing machine on the main seams, as I want this to hold up well, and my hand stitching at the time wasn't the best.

I followed the directions to put it all together and finished it by hand. The only thing I need to do is shorten the sleeves just a bit. And eventually I'll add some blackwork embroidery to the neckline.

Completed August 2006